Monday, October 26, 2009

Algonquin Park


Algonquin Park
Originally uploaded by Chasing Light Studio ~ Pie's Photography

Lower High Falls.

Log Book:
Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2009
Final day.
Woke up to a torrential downpour that lasted until shortly after 10 am. I stayed hunkered down in my tent nice & warm & more importantly, dry. When the rain finally stopped I began to pack up a soggy camp hoping to get on the trail before it started to rain again. Lucky for me it did not and I was on the water about an hour later. I was keen to get moving because I had 5 portages all under 450 m to complete as well as some distance to cover in the canoe before I was to be picked up between 6 & 7 pm.
The light was very, very dull this day with little to no contrast; it was a bit frustrating trying to capture the scene I was looking at knowing full well that the final images were to be mediocre at best. The wind was also causing havoc – not for me in the canoe – I had it at my back the entire way out. Trying to stop the motion in the blowing trees was the challenge - even with high ISO’s & shutter speeds, the trees still had a lot of movement to them.
When I had made it through the last portage I was anxious to keep moving on because I could see I was in for more rain & maybe even some thunder showers. I made it to my take out at Pine Grove Point Lodge (the location to pick up permits for Park use) on Benoir Lake at the at approx. 6pm for my pick up. It was here that I made my last cup of camp coffee under the veranda of the shop to help get rid of the dampness & chills – mmm good!
This section of the Park is simply stunning! The Canadian Shield is rugged & very beautiful with some of the most amazing waterfalls, swifts, rapids & landscape scenery to take in. Do I recommend this trip – absolutely!

1 comment:

Peter Cluff Ink said...

Corey....previewed all your images and read the log of your Algonquin trip. Great pics and a great read..for a minute I thought I was there. Love Aunt Lucy