Thursday, October 22, 2009

Algonquin Park


Algonquin Park
Originally uploaded by Chasing Light Studio ~ Pie's Photography

Log Book:
Tuesday, Oct. 6, 2009
When lunch was packed up Tasha & I headed back down the look-out trail to the main fork that continues on to the Bruton Farm. The hike was about 3.5/4 km long one way & I had no idea if it was going to worth the trip. Made it to the beginning of the site in good time, a mossy stone fence was the first indication of the settlement & it was located just before the logging road. Once on the logging road we headed north about 50/60m to find the continuation of the trail. This is where it got bit tricky – there was no actual trail – just red spray painted blazes on the trees to follow in. You would have to make it to a marked tree then scan the forest for the next blaze, go to it & so on. On its own this wouldn’t have been a problem, but there had been some recent logging in the area & there was slash down everywhere concealing the markings & making travel through the bush a lot more difficult especially for a dog on a leash. We did eventually make it to the site, I think. All that was there as far as I could see was this big maple spray painted with the word “Farm” on it. “This can’t be it” I thought for the second time that day. But after some scouting around & not seeing any other blaze marks or sign of a settlement, we turned around & started the long journey back. There was still the paddle back across Scorch Lake to the portage which was 900 m then the long paddle back to base camp. When I started the paddle across Scorch Lake the rain started up as well for the first time that day & did not stop the entire trip back to base camp. The thing that saved me for this leg of the trip was my wife’s mp3 player. This was the first time I had brought anything like this with me – but boy did it help keep my spirits up & my mind occupied for the trip back!

No comments: